More about the
Welcome to the Leon Barnett Football Academy Bedford. We offer coaching which focuses on developing young players' abilities and understanding of the game, while keeping a smile on their face. The Academy was formed by Leon Barnett. Having played over 300 professional football matches in the Premier League, Europa League and Charity Community Shield, Leon was ready to pass on his wealth of experience and knowledge to the next generation.
At Leon Barnett Football Academy, developing young players' football abilities isn’t our only priority, we also help them develop as people. We provide every player with a safe and enjoyable environment so they can feel comfortable, confident and develop at their own pace. Elite level players on our Education Programme will get the encouragement and support they need to raise their own personal standards and be the best they can be.
ABOUT OUR COACHES
Leon Barnett - Director
UEFA B Licensed Coach Leon is an English former professional footballer, primarily playing as a centre-back. He also made appearances as a full-back, central midfielder and striker.
He started his career with Luton Town, making his professional debut. He established himself at Luton making 70 first team appearances in all competitions before signing for West Bromwich Albion in 2007 for an initial fee of £2.5 million. Highlights of his career include:
- Promotion to the Premier League by winning the 2007–08 Championship in his first season with West Brom.
- Gaining promotion from the Championship, finishing as runners-up with Norwich City.
- Making 25 appearances in the Premier League, facing formidable opponents such as Luis Suárez and Fernando Torres.
- Racking up 100 appearances for Wigan Athletic, winning League One during the 2015–16 season.
Rob Sinclair - Head Coach
Rob is a native of Bedford who currently plays as a midfielder for Southern League Division One Central club Bedford Town. He is an FA Licensed Coach currently studying for his UEFA License.
He signed a pro contract at Luton Town in 2007. He joined Salisbury City after a loan spell in 2008. Rob managed to overcome injuries, playing 54 games and with his career appearances for various clubs now reaching over 300 matches.
Career highlights include:
- Earned promotion to League One in his first season with Stevenage.
- Gained promotion to the Conference Premier with Salisbury City in the 2012–13 season.
- Helped Forest Green earn promotion to the Football League in 2016–17.
- Joined hometown club Bedford Town in July 2020.